Monday, June 29, 2009

one pot chocolate coconut brownies


What better way to start food blogging than with Chocolate Brownies? I realise that there is nothing fresh or seasonal about this recipe but they're preservative free and a perrenial favourite!

I can't remember how many times I've made these, and I can guarantee I will be making them for many many years to come. They're delicious, I usually have all the ingredients readily available, they're quick to make, and they only use one pot, one square baking tray and a wooden spoon, so the cleaning up afterwards is easy! In fact that alone is reason enough for me to keep them right at the top of my favourite things to bake list. Muffins come a close second but I find cleaning out those 12 individual muffin holes a real pain! Biscuit recipes always look so tempting but the thought of hand rolling 48 tiny balls of dough and squishing them onto a baking tray always puts me off.
So anyway, these chocolate coconut brownies are a firm favourite with me, and everyone who tries them. And so, with thanks to the good old Edmonds cookbook, here is the recipe:

Melt 125g butter in a pot
Add 1/4 cup cocoa and stir for one or two minutes over low heat.
Then remove from the heat and add one cup of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla essence. Stir again.
Break in 2 eggs and stir until combined.
Then gently fold in half a cup of flour, half a teaspoon of baking powder (I think you're supposed to sift these two but I never do) and half a cup of coconut.
Pour mixture into a prepared 20cm square baking tray (I usually line the bottom with baking paper and spray the sides with Spray'n Cook).

Bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes.
I usually leave them in the tin to cool, then sieve some icing sugar over the top and cut into squares.

Sometimes I double it, that works too but they disappear just as quickly!





1 comment: